Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/24/d426721672/htdocs/williamwendland.archive/forum/viewtopic.php on line 988

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/24/d426721672/htdocs/williamwendland.archive/forum/viewtopic.php on line 988
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
Recomend a case, What is your favorite and why. • William Wendland 's Blog Message Forums View topic - Recomend a case, What is your favorite and why.
It is currently June 24th, 2018, 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

• Share Topic • Recomend a case, What is your favorite and why. •

Post subject: Recomend a case, What is your favorite and why.
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 1:41 am 
Site Admin

What is your favorite case and why?

Here are the features that interest me most.
- Full or Super tower
- Hot swap 3.5" drive bays
- possibly 1 or 2 2.5" drive bays as well
- easy access front fans and filters

These are the cases I have in mind.
- ABS Canyon 695 (Discontinued) but is perfect.
- ABS Tigas
- Antec DF-85
- Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
- Zalman GS1200 ??

Post your suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Recomend a case, What is your favorite and why.
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 5:28 pm 

silverstone rv02/ft02

dust filters are very simple to get to, just lift up the top cover (it just snaps down), undo 2 thumb screws, lift off side panel, slide out dust filters. the 180mm fans come out with 4 screws, very simple. i've never taken them off though because i never had a need to, and it looks like the screws near the mobo might be hard to reach, but i think it would be easier if you took off the other side panel, which is just 2 more thumb screws.

if that doesn't work, i would definitely consider the lian li pcp80. huge, fans are on a door that swings out in front, and it's lian li which is just amazing quality. you would have to paint the inside yourself, but other than that it would be a great case. link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112159

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the coment.
Silverstone makes some good quality cases.
the Lian Li PC-P80 has a nice layout and is cost effective., and since it's aluminum, I would'nt paint it.
The front panel is nice, like the 695. I just dont like the design.
I like a plain simple look, kinda makes it timeless.

I really wish this one was still available. the Lian Li version of the ABS Canyon 695
same exact case, under the Lian Li model TYR PC-X2000
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... =95&g=spec

I think I like this one the best out of Lian Li,
16.02" x 9.53" x 23.62" it's almost the same as the TYR PC-200 / Canyon 695
but a little shorter, and does not have hot swap, I could mod that in.
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... dex=62&g=f
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112317

The only problem I see is there is only 8.46" available for a PSU,
however they have a PSU extension bracket for larger PSU's (will stick out the back)
My PSU is 9-1/2" long and that's without the cables attached.
even with the extension, still only gives 11"
Since I only need 3 Hard drives, I could remove the bottom HDD cage and just use the top.
Seems silly to have mod a case like that.

What do you think.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 10:08 am 
Site Admin

This one slipped by me.
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... dex=66&g=f

Almost there, Again, not sure if the bottom drive cage can be removed for a large PSU.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 9:23 pm 

that looks pretty nice, but i don't think it would in person -- it's not long enough (by that i mean front to back) for how tall it is. i wouldn't consider the corsair 800d unless you're going to go with watercooling, it's pretty dreadful for air cooling. you could consider the cooler master atcs 840, lots of air cooling potential and it has a very clean layout, but i think it's too expensive because at the heart, it's still a cooler master -- a flimsy pile of junk when compared next to an 800d, lian li or silverstone.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

what about this? a silverstone ft01? not the greatest for gpu cooling, but the cpu cooling is quite good for air and it has a pretty clean look to it.

another option would be the cooler master cosmos, if you like the way it looks. it's still a cooler master, but it can have some pretty good looking mods done to it that i've seen.

overall, i think your best choice would be the corsair 800d or even the 700d, though you would have to do some mods for front fans and shrouds to keep your tri-sli setup cool i think, but i'm not positive on that if you don't have to worry too much about your cpu heating it up. either way, it's a great case for sure and i would say it's worth whatever expense it takes to get it running good for your setup!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Hey man if you want to build off of a unique case you need to talk to me about that M.M. case I have. Its now no longer in use. I would almost give it away to you, because I know it would be put to good use. You would have to order the mobo trays for what you wanted to house inside, but its a thought. all the case fans are still installed and would come with it. If you wanted the laser etched case top that would be fine, or you could order another. if you are interested just let me know man.

BTW the Sliverstone raven is a unique case that works well for high heat building systems.

EG

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

synergizer wrote:
that looks pretty nice, but i don't think it would in person -- it's not long enough (by that i mean front to back) for how tall it is.
I actually took that into consideration, and researched, few minutes of staring at it, thinking how tall and narrow it is, I realized there are no drive bays in front of the mobo, which is a plus, I like the drives positioned away from the motherboard, that way the fans are not sucking dust into the opticals.
I got the tape measure out mocked it up against the Antec 1200. I really think it will look ok. that full length air filter is major plus.

You are right though, it is oddly narrow for the height.

ExtremeGrandpa wrote:
Hey man if you want to build off of a unique case you need to talk to me about that M.M. case I have. Its now no longer in use. I would almost give it away to you, because I know it would be put to good use. You would have to order the mobo trays for what you wanted to house inside, but its a thought. all the case fans are still installed and would come with it. If you wanted the laser etched case top that would be fine, or you could order another. if you are interested just let me know man.

BTW the Sliverstone raven is a unique case that works well for high heat building systems.

EG
I looked at Mountain Mods, But don't think it will suit me, I want to go Aluminum if at all possible. How heavy is it?
The black coating on all the cases I work in, start flaking after swapping hardware a few times.

I really think I'm sold on the Lian Li, not sure which one though. the quality is Bar None.
And really like the features they have.

By the way, I'm all done cleaning and the 1200 is back together,
I changed a few things, I'll post on the front page.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 6:44 am 
Site Admin

This M.M, case wieghs about 20lbs fully assembled and has the best paint job i have ever seen on a PC case. I have bumped it and hit it several times changing out hardware and removing the mobo trays and it didnt even scratch the paint. Its just plain huge being its setup for 2 PCs to be inside it. But all in all i am impressed with the craftmanship of the overall case.

I also have a thermaltake kandalf LCS case running around here somewhere I need to do something with. And it weighs more like 45lbs empty.

Hey it was just a thought for a project and I offered.

EG

PostPosted: January 8th, 2011, 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Right on, I appreciate the offer.
I'm not ready yet, just want to get my ducks in row.

I am on the hunt for the Perfect, Ultimate, Super Tower.

I will then do a review, based on all the info from everyone helping.